1. Express gratitude: Write down what you're grateful for either at the beginning of the day or at the end of the day. I also encourage you to share your gratitude with someone close to you and encourage them to share what they're grateful for. It's a wonderful way to get closer with a love one or simply pass on positive joy to a friend.
2. Get physical: Spend at least a half hour a day getting some physical exercise or focusing on your body in some way - whether you take time for meditation and are taking thoughtful breaths, whether you practice yoga, you work out at the gym, or you take a walk, get your body moving. Considering we have 24 hours in a day, and if you sleep 8 hours and work 10 hours, you still have 6 hours - 360 minutes to find 30 minutes for some physical movement. As we know, physical exercise will not only make you feel happier but will improve your health and might even help you live longer!
3. Laugh: Whether you look at a funny video, make weird crazy faces while at a stop light, or talk to someone you know you usually laugh with, do whatever you need to find a moment of laughter each day. For instance, I have a student who makes the funniest expression when I explain anything to the class - that's his thinking face, but it literally makes my day! Try even having a giant smile for a while and see what happens to you! Laughing is so important - it will fill you with joy and will hopefully remind you to appreciate all the good things in your life.
4. Fuel your passion: Do what you love as often as possible. If you don't have a job you love, then find another job! Okay, I realize many people don't always love their jobs, in fact, at times it can feel taxing, but perhaps try to find something about your job that you love - whether it's going for a walk, talking with a co-worker, completing a particular task, etc. I also encourage you to find something you love outside of your job - whether it's painting, writing, reading a book, reading a funny article, cooking, eating chocolate, going dancing, spending time with someone you care about, learning something new, taking a bicycle ride, looking at the sunset, going to the airport to celebrate good landings, whatever it is you want to do that just fills your heart with joy, do it.
5. Schedule time for happiness: Take control of your hours in the day and plan time for your happiness - whether it's time with friends, family, someone important, or time to yourself, rest time, break time, pampering time, please take the time to love yourself. There's always time for you - you just have to make sure you give the time you deserve to yourself to find joy, happiness, and then pass that joy on to others.
What do you do to bring happiness to your life?